#10 - I hate granite!




Another HUGE expense in the making...............COUNTERTOPS!


Where do you even start?  All I know is that I'm not a big fan of granite.  There is really no reason behind my hatred for granite.  I just never liked the look of it.  But then again, have I seen all the different kinds of granite in the world?...............no.  Still, I've never come across a piece I liked.  Plus, I cringe (involuntarily) every time I see people ogle over granite countertops on House Hunters.  I take this as a sign, no no on granite.

What are my choices then?

  • Marble
  • Engineered Stone
  • Tile
  • Laminite
  • Corian
  • Concrete
  • Stainless Steal
  • Butcher Block
  • Granite

If I had my way, I would choose marble.  I love love love the look of it.  It's just so pretty!!  





BUT...........................



A. I don't have a gazillion dollars
B. Not as durable and maintenance free as I would like
C. People keep steering me away from it  


Here we go, decision making time.  Luckily, my brother's friend works at a place that sells and fabricates countertops, Aegean Stoneworks in Anaheim.  After perusing the various options, I'm going with engineered stone.

Fun facts about engineered stone:
  • 93% quartz
  • super durable
  • easy maintenance
  • consistent in pattern and color
  • food safe
  • stain resistant
  • a ton of design choices
In my research, I found 3 brands of engineered stone that kept popping up.  I'm assuming these are the biggest most popular brands out there.


 


 




Since there are so many choices, I have to narrow it down fast or this is just gonna get old and I'm going to end up picking.....whatever.

I know I want something white, and I love the look of Carrera Marble.  Lucky me, I was smart enough to take a paint sample of my kitchen cabinets to see what will work best for my kitchen.

And this is what I found:


Cambria - Torquay


The veins in the stone match the color of my kitchen cabinets perfectly.  The Torquay will go in the kitchen and the guest bathroom.  I found a remnant at Aegean Stoneworks that will work for the master bathroom.







DONE, moving on :).

1 comment: